Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health
Join our team today!
$10,000 Sign on Bonus for RN with 1+ years of experience or $15,000 for 2 year commitment for Night Shift
$5,000 Sign on Bonus for New Grads or $7,500 for 2 year commitment for Night Shift
Higher Pay Scales and Sign-On Incentives
Flexible Schedule to live the life you deserve
Referral Bonus programs
Paid Time Off
Excellent Health Benefits (Anthem)
Unlimited Tuition Reimbursement through Guild Education (only an 18 month commitment)
Summary of Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
The Stepdown Registered Nurse (RN) delivers patient care utilizing the nursing process through data collection and assessment, identifying and determining the priority of patient s problems/needs, and evaluating the process and outcome of nursing care, all in collaboration with the interdisciplinary care team. The RN coordinates, provides, and directs patient teaching activities and coordinates the care provided by health team members.
Essential Job Functions
• Conducts initial and ongoing patient assessment, analyzes assessment data, creates a plan of care, implements treatment, and evaluates treatment effectiveness
• Administers medications in a safe manner consistent with the State of Practice and Bon Secours Mercy Health policies and procedures.
• Serves as point of contact for patients' care coordination throughout hospital departments.
• Acts as a patient safety advocate by participating in ongoing quality improvement in the department.
• Serves as patient advocate in collaboration with spiritual care, palliative care, and ethics.
• Serves as a point of care with care coordination and family members or caregivers.
• Clinically manages patients with multi-system organ failure and/or multisystem trauma.
• Using the AACN Synergy Model, restores, supports, promotes, rehabilitates, or palliates to maintain the physiologic, psychologic, and psychosocial stability of patients across the lifespan.
• Synthesizes and prioritizes information in order to take immediate and decisive evidence-based, patient-focused action using clinical judgement and clinical inquiry.
• Anticipates and responds with confidence and adapts to rapidly changing patient conditions.
• Responds to the unique needs of the patients and families coping with unanticipated illness or injury and treatment and advocate for their choices in quality of life.
• BSMH nurses are expected to practice and deliver care in accordance with the core concepts and intention of the BSMH Nursing Professional Practice Model.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be required to perform other job-related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
Current RN license in state they are working or covered by compact (required)
BLS Basic Life Support (preferred upon hire, must obtain from approved source prior to direct patient care)
ACLS Advanced Cardiac Life Support (preferred)
CCRN Critical Care Registered Nurse (preferred)
PCCN Progressive Care Certified Nurse (preferred)
National Institute of Health (NIH) Stroke Certification (preferred)
Bachelor of Science Nursing (preferred)
1 year of RN experience (required)
6 months RN experience in an acute care hospital setting (preferred)
EPIC Electronic Health Record (EHR) training (preferred)
Critical Care Course (preferred)
• Assigns patient care according to the nursing skill, knowledge, and scope of practice of staff.
• Orients, facilitates learning experience, and provides education (based upon quality improvement indicators, outcomes, and implementation) to nursing staff and others.
• Possesses clinical knowledge, skills, and competency to provide evidence-based patient care in accordance with the current standards of practice, policy and procedure, and BSMH mission.
• Performs comprehensive assessment of patient's clinical condition and psychosocial needs of the patient and their supportive resources.
• Safely and efficiently develops, implements, and prioritizes plan of care.
• Application of the nursing process in patient care delivery.
• Assesses patient's physical and emotional responses to treatment to evaluate effectiveness of intervention and patient outcomes; revises plan of care accordingly.
• Assists patient and family in coping with patient's illness.
• Collaborates with others in the delivery of coordinated patient care.
• Strong interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills.
• Applies cultural diversity and inclusion principles when caring for patients and their support resources.
• Recognizes own limitations and seeks assistance and acquires information to perform safely.
• Advances personal and professional growth through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-services, and workshops.
• Exhibits professionalism through accountability for own and delegated actions.
• Integrates cost-effective measures into practice and models effective stewardship of available resources.
• Practices self-care and cultivates resilience in conflict and difficult circumstances.
• Protects the safety and privacy of all persons.
• Understanding and utilization of office and clinical technologies.
• Ability to communicate with patients in a manner they can understand considering their personal preferences.
• Compassionate, relationship-based approach to help find meaning in illness, suffering, pain, and existence.
• Remains calm, adaptive, and collective during an emergency.
• Manages care of patients with chest tubes.
• Assesses patients through hemodynamic monitoring.
• Inserts and monitors transvenous pacing/temporary pacing.
• Administers means for conscious sedation.
• Knowledge of advanced respiratory modalities.
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
Many of our opportunities reward your hard work with:
Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
Prescription drug coverage
Flexible spending accounts
Life insurance w/AD&D
Employer contributions to retirement savings plan when eligible
Paid time off
And much more
Benefits offerings vary according to employment status
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
5th Floor Intermediate - St. Joseph
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health - Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours - Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please email . If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at