About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is an established and flourishing environmental firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental compliance services. SWCA is an employee-owned company composed of environmental professionals who specialize in natural and cultural resource management, environmental planning, and regulatory compliance.
With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance companies and consistently ranks among Engineering News-Records Top 200 Environmental Firms. We offer a team-oriented work environment, and a competitive compensation and benefits package, including an employee stock ownership plan (retirement) for full-time, regular employees. Some benefits are also available to on-call, temporary or part-time employees.
SWCA has an opportunity in our San Diego, CA office for Archaeological Field Technicians who will assist the Field Director and Project Team in completing archaeological pedestrian surveys, construction monitoring, and other field or office tasks. You will assist with GPS data collection using tablet units, coordinate with contractors in the field, and communicate with the Team through daily reporting of field activities. This is an on-call, hourly position. You should be available to work full-time on an as-needed, on-call basis.
Our San Diego office offers a unique work environment and specializes in Cultural Resources Management and Environmental Compliance.
What you will accomplish
- Demonstrate and maintain SWCAs high standard of scientific ethics and quality assurance, and have the awareness to identify and resolve challenges in creative ways
- Perform all aspects of archaeological survey, excavation, monitoring, data collection and documentation in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal guidelines and requirements
- Identify cultural materials while safely working on construction sites and around heavy equipment; communicate resource requirements with construction personnel and other monitors
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with construction crews and project personnel
- Maintain written daily survey, monitoring, or site-recordation logs and provide daily email updates to project management.
- Perform digital photography, and utilize electronic data collection tools and GIS mapping applications
- Perform basic laboratory studies
- Follow instructions and ask informed questions
- Maintain a high level of professionalism at all times, and during all interactions with project personnel and members of the public.
Experience and qualifications for success
- A bachelors degree in anthropology, archaeology, history, or a closely related field is required
- Participation in an accredited field school or equivalent experience
- Up to 1 year of professional experience in San Diego county identifying and documenting cultural resources. Experience should include work as a field archeologist in California or the Great Basin using a range of field methodologies, including survey, testing, excavation, and monitoring. Familiarity with California prehistoric and historical cultural resources (including ability to quantify/analyze materials) and the culture history of California
- Ability to read and interpret topographical maps and navigate using a compass
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent attention to detail and will have strong organizational and analytical skills
- Must have strong communication skills (both oral and written) and demonstrate ability to coordinate effectively with SWCA senior staff and other project personnel
- Candidate must be motivated and able to work safely and cooperatively with minimal supervision
- Availability to work extended field rotations (10-12 days at a time) and travel accordingly
- Able to carry up to 40 lbs of equipment and supplies and hike in rugged terrain.
- Ability to pass a Motor Vehicle background screening.
- Current valid drivers license and the ability to safely operate a 4wd vehicle on rugged, backcountry roads required
- Dependable, respectful, organized, pro-active, and on-time
- Currently reside in southern California (Greater San Diego area preferred)
- Active 40-hour HAZWOPER training a plus
- Compensation is negotiable depending on qualifications and experience
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email or call . This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response. SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges on all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency. An employee in this San Diego, CA - based position can expect an hourly pay rate of $21.09 - $27.84/hour. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
This position is eligible for our wellness paid time off, employee assistance program and wellness program activities.